Modernist Cooking Made Easy: Sous Vide is the authoritative guide to low temperature precision cooking and it will help make sous vide a part of your everyday cooking arsenal.
Sous vide has two huge advantages for both the novice and experienced cook. Most importantly it will allow you to significantly increase the quality and consistency of the dishes you create on a daily basis. And for those of you whose lives are harried, the sous vide technique also allows you to create remarkable meals while working around your hectic schedule.
Over the last five years I've cooked hundreds of sous vide meals and written 4 cookbooks on the subject that have brought sous vide cooking into tens of thousands of home kitchens. I've used it for fancy modernist dishes, simple everyday post-work meals, food for parties and barbecues and everything in-between. With the introduction of several low cost circulators, sous vide is more accessible than ever to the home cook. I decided it was time to take another look at sous vide and write a comprehensive primer for cooks of all experience levels.
This book uses my years of experience to demystify the sous vide process, serve as a reference for more than 80 cuts of meat and vegetables, and provide a collection of inspiring recipes to get you on your way to sous vide success.
Sous vide is a simple an extremely effective way to cook. This book covers every step of the sous vide process, from seasoning, sealing, and temperature control to how to determine the times and temperatures needed to turn out great food. There are also extensive write ups for the main types of food including steak and red meat, pork, fish and shellfish, eggs, fruits and vegetables, and more.
What You Get In This Book
- The bulk of this book is the more than 85 recipes it contains. Designed so you can skim the recipes, looking for something that inspires you, or turn to a specific recipe to learn all about how to cook the cut of meat it features.
- A detailed look at the entire sous vide process, including pre-sous vide preparation, sous vide sealing, temperature control, determining time and temperatures, and finishing sous vided foods.
- More than 85 recipes providing a wide variety of dishes across many cuts of meat and types of vegetables. They include:
•Beef, Lamb, and Other Red Meat
•Sausage and Ground Meats
•Chicken, Turkey, Duck, and Poultry
•Fish and Shellfish
•Fruits and Vegetables
•Infusions of Alcohol, Oil, and Vinegar
•Sweet and Sours such as yogurt, creme brulee, and dulce de leche
- An introduction to the equipment you will need for cooking sous vide. From a simple no-cost method that will allow you to give sous vide cooking a try, to a low-cost setup that will meet all of your sous vide cooking needs.
- A comprehensive sous vide time and temperature chart, as well as cooking-by-thickness times.
- More than 35 "Modernist Notes" with suggestions for using modernist ingredients and techniques to turn everyday meals into upscale and elegant dishes.