1 pound dark (semi-sweet or bittersweet) chocolate, chopped uniformly
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 115F/46C.
2. Put about 12 ounces (340 g) of the chocolate into a medium metal or Pyrex bowl.
3. Carefully place the bowl into the water oven and let it float. Do not cover the water oven with the lid.
4. Stir the chocolate occasionally with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, being very careful not to drip water into the chocolate, until it reached 115F/46C when measured with a candy thermometer or digital thermometer.
5. Remove the bowl of melted chocolate from the water oven, taking care to wipe the bottom of the bowl with a dry cloth.
6. Reset the SousVide Supreme to 90F/32C. Add cold water or a few ice cubes to hasten the temperature drop.
7. Meanwhile, add the remaining 4 ounces (114 g) of the chocolate to the melted chocolate and stir. Allow to cool, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 82F/27C on the thermometer. (Note: If room temperature is hot (above 82F/27C), place the bowl of melted chocolate very briefly over a bowl of ice to help bring the temperature down to the target.
8. Return the bowl of chocolate to the water oven and let the chocolate come back up to 90F/32C, as measured on the thermometer. The temperature of the chocolate will quickly reach this target and remain there while you work.
9. Use tempered chocolate for dipped fruit or cookies, to enrobe candy or to put in chocolate molds for bon bons.