Makes 1 quart (0.9 liters)
4 vanilla beans
2 cups (480 ml) water
2 cups (383 g) Castor (superfine) sugar
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 190F/88C.
2. Split the vanilla beans and scrape the seeds.
3. Put the bean pods, seeds, water and sugar into a large (gallon/3.8 litre) zip closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
4. Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 1 hour.
5. Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve, lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter, to catch the bean sediment.
6. Pour into a clean bottle with a stopper or screw-top and label.
7. Cool and keep refrigerated for use up to 6 weeks.