12 to 14 beef short ribs (about 2 ½ pounds/ 1 kg)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ½ cup (360 ml) commercially prepared barbecue sauce (Hak’s if you have it!)
4 tablespoons (57g) butter
12 Slider buns or Hawaiian rolls, split
Slider Slaw (recipe follows)
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme or Demi to 132F/55C.
2. Lightly season the ribs on all sides with salt and pepper and brush them lightly all over with the barbecue sauce to glaze them.
3. Put the ribs about three to a pouch in a single layer into suitably sized cooking pouches, add the butter in chunks, and vacuum seal.
4. Submerge the pouches in the water oven to cook for 48 hours.
5. Before serving, heat a grill or grill pan to high heat and sear the meat on all sides to caramelize the surfaces.
6. Brush the top and bottom of the slider buns with barbecue sauce.
7. Pull the meat right off the bone and onto slider buns bottoms, top with slaw and bun top, secure with a toothpick.
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cider vinegar
3 tablespoons (45 ml) prepared mayonnaise
2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
1 lemon, juice only
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cabbage or cabbage slaw mix
black sesame seeds for garnish
1. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth.
2. Add the cabbage or slaw mix and toss to coat evenly.
3. Use to top sliders or serve as a side dish.