1 to 2 tablespoons (.5 oz/15 g to 1 oz/30 g) unsalted butter (for greasing ramekins)
8 whole eggs
2 cups (16 fl oz/ 473 ml) heavy cream
1 cup (9 oz/250 g) Pumpkin Pie Mix
1/2 teaspoon (.25 fl oz/7.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons (1.9 oz/55 g)
brown sugar (for finishing)
1. Raise the perforated bottom grill by placing it atop a non-rusting roasting rack.
2. Fill the ramekins you will use to cook your custard with water and position them on the perforated grill.
3. Fill the water oven with just enough water to come within 1/4- to 1/2-inch (.635 to 1.27 cm) of the top of the ramekin.
4.Remove ramekins, empty, and dry them well. Liberally butter the insides of all the ramekins.
5. Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 195°F (90.5°C).
6. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until light yellow.
7. Add the heavy cream, Pumpkin Pie Mix, and vanilla extract. Beat again to mix well.
8. Pour the pumpkin mixture into each ramekin, almost to the top, and cover with foil.
9. Carefully place each filled ramekin into the heated water bath. Cook the custards for at least 1 hour and up to 11/2 hours.
10. Remove the ramekins from the water bath, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
11. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
12. At serving, sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon (.08 oz/2.3 g) brown sugar and caramelize the topping with a kitchen torch or under a preheated broiler.