Courtesy of Stefan Boer (www.stefangourmet.com)
SousVide Supreme Recipe Contest Winner
12 ounces (350 ml) milk
10 pairs (50 g) Amaretti di Sorrono cookies (plus 2 pairs reserved for decoration)
2 tablelspoons (25 g) cocoa powder, plus a bit more for decoration
1 1/2 ounces (50 ml) dark rum
5 tablespoons (75 g) vanilla sugar*
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
5 egg yolks
*Store granulated table sugar in a tightly-sealed container with previously-used vanilla beans to make your own cheap and delicious vanilla sugar!
1. Preheat the traditional oven to 250F/120C.
2. While it’s heating, elevate the perforated bottom grill of the SousVide Supreme water bath by placing it atop a non-rusting wire cooking rack or adjustable roasting rack.
3. Fill the ramekins you will use to cook your bounet with water and position them on the perforated bottom rack of the SousVide Supreme™ .
4. Fill the machine with just enough water to come within ½ inch (1.25 cm) of the top of the ramekin. Remove and empty he ramekins and dry them well.
5. Put the dry ramekins onto a baking tray and into the preheated oven to heat them so the caramel will not solidify too quickly.
5. Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F-194F/85-90C.
6. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the yolks are a pale yellow cream (about 2 minutes).
7. Grind the 10 pairs of amaretti into powder using a food processor or a rolling pin.
8. Add the cocoa powder, ground amaretti, rum and milk to the egg mixture and whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and there are no lumps.
9. In a saucepan, make the caramel.
a. Put the sugar into the pan.
b. Add a tiny bit of water, stirring so it just dissolves
c. Cook over high heat without stirring too much until it is amber in color.
10. Remove the preheated ramekins from the oven and pour the caramel quickly into them before it becomes too dark.
11. Pour the bounet mixture into the ramekins and carefully place them onto the perforated grill in the water oven.
12. Cook for 45 minutes with the lid on the water bath.
13. When the bounet have set (a knife blade inserted into one should come out clean) remove the ramekins from water bath and let them cool to room temperature.
1. Turn each bounet out onto a dessert plate (if necessary, use a knife to loosen the edge) and let the caramel sauce flow over it.
2. Decorate with an amaretto cookie and a dusting of cocoa powder.