Serves 1 to 4
Time: 45 minutes up to 4 hours
1 to 4 tender steaks (rib eye or filet mignon) 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) thick
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon (15 ml) bacon grease (rendered bacon fat) or unsalted butter (optional)
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to desired serving temperature (134F/56.5C for medium rare; 140F/60C for medium; 150F/65.5C for medium well.)
- Sprinkle both sides of each steak lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Put each steak into a suitably sized food-grade pouch and vacuum seal. Though no fat is necessary, if desired, add a generous tablespoon of fat to each pouch. (If using a hand pump sealer, take care keep the added fat away from the valve membrane of the pouch.)
- Arrange the pouches in the pouch rack to keep them separated from one another and be sure the meat is fully submerged. Cook for a minimum of 45 minutes for a 1-inch (2.5 cm) cut and at least 2.5 hours for a 2-inch (5 cm) cut.
- When the cooking time has elapsed, remove the pouches from the water oven onto the inverted lid and allow them to cool for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature. (At this point you may also quick chill the steaks in their pouches, submerged in an ice water bath, for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour and refrigerate for up to 48 hours or freeze for up to 1 year. Bring meat to room temperature before searing.)
- When ready to serve, open the pouches and remove the steaks. Pat the surface dry with a paper towel.
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of unsalted butter over medium high heat in a skillet large enough to hold the steaks comfortably (or sear them in batches). When the butter foams and just begins to colour (don’t let it burn!) place the steaks into the skillet and allow them to gently reheat and brown on the surface for no more than 1 minute on each side.
- Center each steak on a warmed plate and drizzle the remaining browned butter from the skillet over the meat.