Balsamic Marinated Asparagus and Prosciutto Wraps
- 36 fresh, thin asparagus spears, blanched
- 1/2 lb. prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- 6 oz. Boursin Sundried Tomato and Basil cheese spread (or any light flavored cheese spread)
- 1 small jar sundried tomatoes in olive oil
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- In a large pan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add asparagus and allow to blanch only until crisp tender – about 2 minutes. Drain asparagus and add to an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Once cool, dry asparagus.
- Make balsamic vinaigrette by mixing together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and black pepper and heat over medium heat until hot. Remove and allow to cool.
- Cut asparagus spears down into 3 to 4 inch pieces, saving the tops. Place tops into a VacMaster storage canister or a VacMaster bag. Pour cooled marinade over the asparagus. Vacuum seal and place in refrigerator for two hours.
- Remove asparagus from marinate canister or bags. Lay slice of prosciutto on cutting board. Trim if required. Spread with cheese spread. Lay 1 asparagus spear at the end of the slice, along with a piece of sun dried tomato and a few drops of balsamic vinaigrette. Roll jelly-roll style around the asparagus spear. Do not cover tip (see photo above).
- Place all wrapped spears on a decorative plate. Chop fresh basil finely and spread over the plate of spears. Serve with Italian style olives.