Veal Chop “Oskar”
A 10 ounce veal loin rib chop is prepared sous vide and grilled outdoors, served topped with smokey rich beef bone marrow & fried shallots, accompanied by a sous vide poached farm fresh egg yolk in a nest of grilled spring asparagus and Dungeness crab leg sections that are garnished with fresh lemon juice and tarragon.
- 1 ~ 14 ounce veal loin chop bone in
- 3 beef shanks
- 1 chicken egg
- 3 Dungeness crab leg sections
- 6 spears fresh asparagus
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 small shallot sliced
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped French tarragon
- Sea or kosher salt to taste
- Beef shanks smoke at 185°F (85*C) on Cabernet/apple wood pellets for 4 hours, then sous vide for 5 hours at 145°F (63*C) – bone marrow removed.
- Veal chop is sous vide for 4 hours at 132°F (55.5*C) then rested and chilled at 40°F (4.5*C) overnight. Remove from the vacu-sealed bag about 30 minutes before lightly seasoning with kosher salt and searing on 450°F cast iron grates “flat sides” to sear the surface beyond grill marks.
- Asparagus is brushed with avocado oil and seasoned with kosher salt then grilled until charred on all sides, removed and sliced on the bias.
- Chicken eggs are sous vide for 1 hour at 144°F and removed to stop cooking, peeled and the soft pliable egg yolk placed in the nest of asparagus and crab legs.
- Shallots are sauteed in butter and added to “melted” beef bone marrow to top the plated veal chop.
- Lemon juice is squeezed over egg-asparagus-crab nest and garnished with chopped tarragon
Tray of ingredients: asparagus, poached egg, smoked beef shanks (marrow) & sous vide veal loin rib chop.