Recipe submitted by: VacMaster
A very "summery" and tasty salad! Take this to your next summer get-together and you'll get rave reviews!
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes
- 2 English Hothouse cucumbers
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small red onion
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Optional: feta cheese crumbles
- Cut watermelon into 1 inch thick slices and remove rind and seeds. Place slices in a vacuum bag and vacuum package. Refrigerate for one hour. Compressing watermelon intensifies both the color and the flavor.
- Remove compressed watermelon from the bag and cut into 3/4 inch cubes, removing any additional seeds.
- Peel cucumbers and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, 2 cups total.
- Peel onion and cut into quarters. Thinly slice.
- Combine watermelon, tomato and cucumber in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Stir in onion, red wine vinegar and olive oil, mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Serve chilled on Romaine lettuce leaves and top with cracked black pepper to taste.
- As an optional flavor, top the salad with feta cheese crumbles.
VacMaster TIP:For best results, use a VacMaster chamber machine to compress watermelon.