…and Morel Pomegranate Sauce
For the steaks
- ¼ ounce (7 g) porcini powder or dried porcini mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon (1.3 ml) truffle salt (we suggest 10% truffle salt)
- 4 grass-fed beef tenderloin steaks
For the morel cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ pound (113 g) fresh morels (or ½ ounce (14 g) dried morels, rehydrated)
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup + ½ teaspoon (62.5 ml) sweet Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) mushroom stock (or the rehydration liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sherry vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.3 ml) freshly ground black pepper
For the morel and pomegranate pan sauce
- 3 tablespoons (57 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) minced shallots
- ¼ teaspoon (1.3 ml) truffle salt, or to taste (we suggest 10% truffle salt)
- ¼ pound (450 g) fresh morels (or ½ ounce (14 g) dried morels, rehydrated)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Marsala wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mushroom stock (or the rehydration liquid)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh pomegranate arils (seeds), for garnish
Recommended Side: Orange and Garlic Wilted Spinach
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 134F/56.5C for medium rare or your preferred temperature for steak.
- If using dried porcinis instead of powder, grind them into a fine powder in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder.
- If using dried morels instead of fresh, rehydrate the morels for both the cream and pan sauce in 1 cup (240 ml) of water for 2 to 4 hours. Strain and reserve the rehydration liquid, if needed.
- Mix the truffle salt with the porcini powder and season the tenderloin steaks on all sides with mixture
- Put the steaks into cooking pouches and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven to cook for at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours for grass-fed beef. (Minimum cooking times should be based on thickness of the tenderloin, according to the Time and Temperature chart.)
- Meanwhile make the Morel Cream:
- Thinly slice the morels.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add the extra virgin olive oil, morels, black pepper and salt.
- Cook the morels until they release their liquid and begin to brown (about 5 to 6 minutes.)
- Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup (60 ml) of the Marsala wine and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cream and the mushroom stock (or rehydration liquid) and continue to cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the morel mixture to a blender. Add the sherry vinegar, remaining ½ teaspoon of Marsala, and blend until smooth. Taste, then add salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Reserve the finished morel cream in a small saucepan to reheat when needed or pour into a small zip-closure cooking pouch, evacuate the air using the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) and zip the seal. Keep warm or reheat in the water oven along with the steaks.
Finish the steaks and make the Morel & Pomegranate Pan Sauce
- Slice the morels into thin rings.
- Remove the pouches from the water bath, take the steaks from the pouches, and using paper towels, dry off any surface moisture.
- On the stovetop, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add one teaspoon (5 ml/4 g) each of the olive oil and butter.
- Quickly sear the steaks on all sides until they develop a brown crust. They’re already perfectly cooked on the inside; you just want that crust. Remove the steaks to a plate and cover them loosely with aluminum foil.
- Add a tablespoon (14 g/15 ml) each of butter and olive oil to the same pan; add the shallots and cook them for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the morels, truffle salt, and black pepper. Sauté gently until the morels are tender and caramelized (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Add the pomegranate juice, Marsala, and mushroom stock. Simmer the liquid, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan, until the sauce has reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Stir in the last tablespoon (14 g) of butter.
- Taste the sauce and add additional truffle salt, if desired.
- Reheat the truffle cream, if needed.
- Put a spoonful of the morel cream onto the plate.
- Arrange steak slices on top.
- Finish with the pan sauce and pomegranate arils.
- Serve with Orange and Wilted Spinach Salad or your choice of sides.