Courtesy of SousVide Supreme Culinary Specialist Madeline Fiore
Makes 1 cake (6-inch/15 cm round or 9×5-inch/23×13 cm loaf)
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons (70 ml) coconut oil, melted, divided use
- 1 ¼ cups (300 ml) coconut milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ½ cup (96 grams) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (227 grams) sweet rice flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) baking soda
Optional for frying:
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup (37 g) sweetened shredded coconut
- Elevate the bottom, perforated rack of the SousVide Supreme on a non-rusting baking rack and fill the water to at least the fill line.
- To properly fill the water bath to the correct level:
- Fill the cake pan with water.
- Set the pan onto the perforated rack in the water bath.
- Add enough water to bring the water level up to within ½ inch (1.25 cm) of the rim of the cake pan.
- Remove the cake pan, empty, dry well and oil liberally with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of the coconut oil. Set aside.
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 195F/90.5C.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk, water, sugar, remaining coconut oil, salt and extracts.
- In a small bowl whisk together the rice flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir the rice flour mixture into the coconut milk mixture until smooth and thick.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan, cover with foil, and poke several tiny holes in the foil.
- Cook in water bath for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the cake from water bath and let cool to room temperature or least one hour.
- Slice and eat or, if you prefer, pan fry the slices as follows for a crispy treat:
- Slice the cake and each dip each piece into beaten egg
- Lightly coat one side with sweetened shredded coconut and pan fry over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm.