Port Wine, Cherries and Gorgonzola Cheese
Courtesy of John Biswanger
2 firm, ripe pears, peeled, cored, and halved
4 ounces (112 g) gorgonzola cheese, softened
1/2 cup (66 g) dried cherries, chopped
1/2 cup (120 ml) tawny port
2 teaspoons (10 ml) honey
1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (60 g) toasted pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
4 sprigs mint, for garnish
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 165F/74C.
2. In a bowl, mix together the cheese and dried cherries and use one-half of this mixture to fill the cavity of each pear half. (Reserve the remainder to make four mini cheese balls for finishing in step 9.)
3. In a small bowl, mix together the port, honey and vanilla to make a sauce.
4. Put one stuffed pear half into each of four ramekins, equally divide the sauce among the ramekins.
5. Seal each ramekin in a cooking pouch, evacuating just enough air to have the bag make contact with all sides of the ramekin.
6. Carefully place the ramekins in the pre-heated water oven, making sure to keep them level so the contents of the ramekins does not spill out.
7. Cook for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
8. Carefully remove the ramekins from the water and open each pouch.
9. To serve, place the ramekin on a dessert plate, top each pear with some warm toasted chopped pecans and a ball of the cherry cheese mixture on top. Garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.