For 1 cocktail
4 to 6 ice cubes
2-1/2 ounces (75 ml) Watermelon Infused Vodka (recipe follows)
1 ounce (30 ml) fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce (15 ml) simple syrup
1 sliver watermelon with rind (optional garnish)
1. Put ice into a cocktail shaker, add all ingredients, except garnish, and shake well.
2. Pour into a stemmed cocktail glass, garnish, and serve.
Watermelon Infused Vodka
2 cups (480 ml) vodka
2 cups (480 ml) watermelon cubes
1 lime (for zest only)
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 143F/61.5C.
2. Put all ingredients into a large (gallon/3.8 litre) zip-closure cooking pouch and use the Archimedes Principle (displacement method) to remove the air from the pouch, then zip it closed.
3. Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 1 hour.
4. Remove and quick chill the pouch, submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for 15 minutes.
5. Strain the vodka into a clean, stoppered bottle and refrigerate or freeze.
6. Puree the watermelon cubes until smooth, put into a clean zip closure pouch, and freeze for later use as a delicious Drunken Watermelon Slurpee.
Drunken Watermelon Slurpee
Put 1/2 cup (120 ml) vodka-infused watermelon puree into a stemmed cocktail glass and enjoy!