Courtesy of Alex Chow, Kai Mayfair, London, UK
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skin on
For the marinade
- 2 cups (240 ml) water
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 4 slices fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 shallots, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
For the yellow bean sauce
- 9 tablespoons (130 g) unsalted butter, divided use
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 6 ½ ounces (200 ml) evaporated milk
- 3 bird’s eye chiles
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) tau pan Szechuan chilli sauce
- 16 ounces (500 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) fine sugar or to taste
For the garnish
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 16 sliced almonds
- 4 sugar snap peas
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large zip-closure bag, mix together the marinade ingredients.
- Add the chicken breasts and zip closed. Marinate, refrigerated, for several hours.
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 146F/64C.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and put the breasts in a single layer into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch; vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garnishes:
- For the mint, heat a few inches of oil in a pot to 375F/190C and deep fry the mint leaves until crisp; transfer to paper towel/kitchen paper to drain.
- For the almonds, heat the traditional oven to 325F/160C and toast them about 2 minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- In the same oven, roast the cherry tomatoes in a pan with a little oil for a few minutes until the skins split.
- For the snap peas, on the stovetop, heat a small pan of water to the boil and blanche the peas for 30 seconds. Drain.
- And make the sauce:
- In a pan on the stovetop over medium high heat, add a little of the butter and sauté the shallots in the foaming butter until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, remaining butter, evaporated milk, tau pan Szechuan chilli sauce, and bird’s eye chillis and simmer for about 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and sugar to your liking.
- To finish the chicken, heat an oiled grill or grill pan to high heat and sear the chicken breast, skin side down, until brown, about two minutes. Transfer to paper towel/kitchen paper.
- To plate:
- Cut the chicken breast into square pieces and divide among four serving plates.
- Arrange the sugar snap peas, cooked cherry tomatoes, and bird’s eye chillies on each serving plate.
- Place half a mint leaf and one almond slice onto each chicken cube.
- Add a drizzle of yellow bean sauce onto the plate.