Courtesy of Master Chef star, Sharone Hakman (SharonHakman.com)
2-1/2 pounds (1 kg) pork belly
1/4 cup (57 g) brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon (15 ml) good bourbon
1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed red chile pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 recipe Slider Slaw (follows)
12 slider buns
1. Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme or Demi to 176F/80C.
2. Put the pork belly, brown sugar, bourbon and crushed red pepper into a large (gallon/3.8 litre) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
3. Submerge the pouch in the SousVide Supreme and cook for at least 10 hours, but up to 18 hours will make the meat even more tender.
4. Preheat a grill to medium heat.
5. Season the pork belly on both sides with salt and pepper to taste and grill the pork for 30 to 45 seconds per side to get a tasty crust all around.
6. Slice the belly and transfer to a warm platter
To assemble the sliders
1. Lightly toast the slider buns
2. Brush the bottom bun with barbecue sauce, if desired, and pile on the pork belly and slaw.
3. Top with the other half bun and serve.
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cider vinegar
3 tablespoons (45 ml) prepared mayonnaise
2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
1 lemon, juice only
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cabbage or cabbage slaw mix
black sesame seeds for garnish
1. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth.
2. Add the cabbage or slaw mix and toss to coat evenly.
3. Use to top sliders or serve as a side dish.