Serves 4 to 6
2 cups (470 ml) heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup (57 g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons (45 ml) granulated or brown sugar (for finishing)
1. To properly set the level of water:
a. raise the perforated bottom grill by placing it atop a non-rusting baking rack
b. select 4 to 6 ramekins or custard cups that will fit comfortably inside the water oven to cook your custard.
c. fill them with water and position them on the perforated grill.
d. fill the water oven with just enough water to come within ¼ to ½ inch (.65 to 1.25 cm) of the top of the ramekin.
e. remove ramekins, empty, and dry them well.
2. Preheat the SousVide Supreme™ to 195°F /90.5°C.
3. Generously butter the interior of the ramekins and set aside.
4. Pour the cream into a pan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture simmers, about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, put the egg yolks and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat them until light colored and frothy.
6. Whisk 1/4 cup (50 ml) of the heated cream into the beaten yolks to temper them, so they do not scramble when cooked. Then, gradually whisk the remaining cream into the yolks.
7. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve to remove any egg strands.
8. Stir in the vanilla.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins, dividing evenly, and cover with foil.
10. Set carefully into the water oven and cook for 1 ½ hours until custard has set. Centers should wiggle slightly when shaken, but not be soupy.
11. Remove the ramekins from water bath and cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight before serving.
12. When ready to serve, sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) granulated sugar and caramelize with a kitchen torch or under a pre-heated broiler.