(adapted from Velvety Pumpkin Soup from drseades.com)
1 small (about 8 inches/20 cm) pie pumpkin (make sure it is a pie pumpkin, not a carving pumpkin)
4 teaspoons (20 ml) sugar (or 2 packets Splenda or stevia)
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) ground cinnamon
½ stick (4 tablespoons/56 g) unsalted butter
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth
1/2 cup (240 ml) water
2 cups (480 ml) half and half (light cream)
2 tablespoons (30 ml) pumpkin oil, optional garnish
2 tablespoons (30 ml) spicy roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), optional garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 180F/82C.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and pith and slice into wedges. Peel the wedges and chop into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks. Sprinkle the pumpkin with the sugar (or sweetener), salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- Put the pumpkin in a single layer into one (or more) cooking pouch(es) and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water bath and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until quite tender.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions and garlic until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, remove from the water bath and open the pouch. Pour the cooked pumpkin into the soup pot and add the broth and water.
- Puree all ingredients in the pot with a stick (immersion) blender (or in batches in a food processor or blender and return to the pot) then bring the soup just to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Just before serving, whisk in the half and half, taste and adjust salt and pepper, cover and keep warm.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle each serving with a teaspoon (5 ml) of the pumpkin oil and sprinkle with a teaspoon (5 ml) of the roasted pepitas for crunch, if desired.